The Model for Personal Witnessing Day 2 Acts 8:25-40
The Drive of Personal Witnessing is Christ: Acts 8:26-29
26 “Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, ‘Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.’ This is desert. 27 So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, ‘Go near and overtake this chariot.’”
Every Christian has the supernatural power of God on the inside of them. That supernatural power is called the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is actually the life of Christ. When we read the four gospels -- Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – we read of Jesus living out the power of God on earth. When Jesus went to heaven He did not cease to live out the power of God on earth. Now, instead of God living through the life of Jesus, God lives through the life of every Christian. The Holy Spirit. living His life through you is actually Christ living His life through you. As you keep in step with the Spirit, you are keeping in step with Christ. As a result of that life, the Holy Spirit controls and drives you to carry out the ministry of Jesus on earth. When the Holy Spirit is driving and empowering you, He is the life of Christ controlling and empowering you.
Anything that Jesus desires or does, whether it is telling others the good news, living holy, attending church, reading God’s Word, or joyfully serving others, will be the same things we desire and do if Jesus is controlling us. In the same way, because Jesus has a love and compassion for the lost we will too if He is driving us.
The Development of Personal Witnessing is... Caring: Acts 8:30-34
- 30 “So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, ‘Do you understand what you are reading?’ 31 And he said, ‘How can I, unless someone guides me?’ And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 The place in the Scripture which he read was this: ‘He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
- So He opened not His mouth. 33 In His humiliation His justice was take away,
- And who will declare His generation? For His life is taken from the earth.’
- 34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, ‘I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?’”
Communication: Acts 8:35
- “Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.”
The communication of witnessing includes lifestyle and verbal witness. It cannot be one or the other, but it is both lifestyle and verbal communication.
Choosing: Acts 8:36-39
- 36 “Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, ‘See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?’ 37 Then Philip said, ‘If you believe with all your heart, you may.’ And he answered and said, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’ 38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.”
The end game of personal witnessing is to see another person repent and turn, by faith, to Christ for salvation. The end game of witnessing is not merely a spiritual conversation but it is a life that has been transformed in Christ.